Thursday, 7 November 2013

Heritage Trail 2013 - Thian Hock Keng Temple

Tonight I'll be writing about one of the places my group has been to -- the first and the most memorable for me, Thian Hock Keng temple.
It's not like I've never been to a temple before, but it was for the first time, in a long time since I've been to one. I've never been to a temple for about 2 years after I became a Christian. 

This temple is one of the oldest temple in Singapore. It was visited by Chinese immigrants giving thanks to Ma Zu (Goddess of the Sea) for their safe voyage. 
http://www.thianhockkeng.com.sg/images/spacer.gif
In 1839, the Hokkien clan built the temple in Telok Ayer Street. It also housed the clan's office and served as a meeting venue. The details of the temple’s history are recorded in granite tablets on the wall inside the Entrance Hall.


Thian Hock Keng was gazetted as a national monument in 1973. Over the years, Thian Hock Keng has been restored several times.

No doubt was it interesting, I've learnt quite a bit about the temple, its history as well as the two generals who were revered by many. For me who grew up in a Buddhist family, knowing the rules and showing respect to the religion were not something unusual. 

However, in my group, not everyone grew up with a Buddhist background. 

As a Buddhist, you're supposed to be careful about what you step on, what you say and what you do, especially in a temple. 

As we "chiong-ed" for our first station, we forgot about how we were supposed to be sensitive as we visited the place of worship. For example, we stepped on the so-called "holy ground" which were meant for people to worship and pray to the Mazu. I think we got hissed at for that. 

We were also very loud because we shouted, quite excitedly, across the court as we wanted to take a picture with the two generals. That wasn't very nice of us. 

I would say that this heritage trail has made me learn how to be sensitive to all races and religion and realize that this world doesn't revolve around myself.

-GinGin

No comments:

Post a Comment